Skip to main content

Alpinists' Clothing

I found this lovely photograph / postcard at the last fair. It shows a lady named Ruth while she was in Switzerland in 1914. She caught a nasty chill on the journey home, but somehow I think it was most likely caused by to her knitwear. I must say that Ruth looks wonderfully composed and her hat is rather smart. She is wearing good boots, which I will talk about at a later date.




I found this lovely design in the Internet of what would have been considered the height of mountain fashion about 6 years later. Somehow I think the knitwear would have been a trifle warmer. I have yet to find a postcard / photograph of anyone managing to look quite this chic up a mountain.

Popular posts from this blog

The Pussy Cat Willum

Dorothy Pilley and Ivor Armstrong Richards, Japan 1927

Winnie Tuke and Fred Tate - Family and Holidays in the 1920s