Skip to main content

Dorothy Pilley - Climbing Days

I have finally received the 1989 reissue of Dorothy Pilley's book 'Climbing Days'. It is quite a big book so it could take me a while to get through. On the inside of the cover she dedicates the book to I.A.R, Joseph Georges and All My Mountain Friends. I like the way she refers to her husband as a series of letters.

I have been looking through old newspapers to find out more about Mrs I.A.R. I found a review of her book that makes reference to illustrations. Disappointingly, my 1989 version contains not a single picture, diagram or squiggle. I now need to hunt down the original. In 1935 this cost 16 shillings - not cheap. Interesting fact: a Mr Broadhurst was paying 16/- (sixteen shillings) a week to rent his shop on Camden St, Birmingham. The original costs about £30 so I guess it costs the same as it did back then!

Popular posts from this blog

The Pussy Cat Willum

Dorothy Pilley and Ivor Armstrong Richards, Japan 1927

Winnie Tuke and Fred Tate - Family and Holidays in the 1920s