Skip to main content

Very Early Mountaineering Photographs (c.1880)

These wonderful photographs just arrived in the post. Believe it or not, they got here quicker from abroad than the Christmas presents I ordered a week ago in this country! Anyway, they are all stuck in what appears to be a page from a scrapbook. On one side are photos from the UK and on the other are the pictures shown here. The pictures are unnamed so I need to do some serious detective work, but I think they were all taken in Switzerland. If anyone knows the mountains, please let me know.

It was quite common to go by donkey to a certain point on the Mount Blanc trail. Some people say it was a bit of a swindle by the locals so they could get as much money as possible out of the rich Victorian visitors.

This picture shows the standard 4 men roped configuration used to traverse glaciers. I am guessing these people were experienced as it was normal to have a lot more guides. 

This picture is a real find - women mountaineers! From their dresses, I would guess it to be 1880s. I see a handrail so I might be able to date it better once I can identify the mountain. You will notice the bearded local guide at the top.

This is a picture of Hotel Angleterre. I would love to know where this is.

A church up a mountain - quite common in Switzerland.

These men are either celebrating the fact they have crossed this glacier or have just discovered they must cross it!

Popular posts from this blog

The Pussy Cat Willum

Dorothy Pilley and Ivor Armstrong Richards, Japan 1927

Winnie Tuke and Fred Tate - Family and Holidays in the 1920s