Skip to main content

Wrestling Cigarette Cards and Alec Munro (1870-1934)




As a fan of modern wrestling, I was very lucky to acquire these great postcards as well as a full set of wrestling cigarette cards from 1911/1913. Alex Monro (1870-1934) was a strongman, olympian, tug-o-war champion and wrestler...and policeman! Checking the local newspaper archive, I can see that he had many fights in the UK and one big one in the USA. I have yet to find his obituary as I am sure that would be an interesting read. I'll keep looking!

In the meantime, here are the wrestling cards. They come with a full set of instructions on the back so you can try them at home!

The Arm Lock

Half Nelson with Buttock

Japanese Leg Lock

Parrying the Waist Hold

The Creel Hold

The Cradle Hold


Popular posts from this blog

The Pussy Cat Willum

Dorothy Pilley and Ivor Armstrong Richards, Japan 1927

Winnie Tuke and Fred Tate - Family and Holidays in the 1920s