Skip to main content

Serious Climbers and Alpine Tourists 1910-1928


Went on fascinating excursion to Grindelwald and went on the upper glacier in much the same way as you see here. We were roped up with guides (5 on my rope - I was the last - shall have a photo to bring home) and then started to cross which took 35 minutes. We traversed mountains and valleys of ice and negotiated some of the smaller crevices. I wish some of you could have been to enjoy it with me. Although I have  always met plenty of people on these trips it is not quite the same thing as being with one's own people. Still I am having the time of my life. Yours [illegible name]


Arolla, 7th August 1910
M.D.F. I expect you will recognise this. Usual route goes across slab to the right of [illegible - maybe west?] figure. Have managed a fair amount here in spite of bad weather, which kept us from Dent Blanche and Bouquetins. With two guides, five of us traversed Za coming down the steep west face in a heavy snow and thunderstorm. Without guides we did Pijne, traverse of Mount Collen, Col d'Hemas. We also tried to cross [illegible] Fuch to Mount Riffelhorn but could not get down Zinal side owing to a forst or men of ice in noles [I think that's what he writes!]. Returned to Arolla by Breuil and Pragi. Weather is more that last year. Kind regards to yourself and your mother. E.R.B.


We have climbed this pinnacle - all roped together (Eddie, myself and some friends)!! Many thanks for your p.c. We return Friday night. G. Hudson

This is where we had lunch. Have been to the top and back again. Wonderful sun; wind-driven lovely snow and a glorious view, love Mick

Popular posts from this blog

The Pussy Cat Willum

Dorothy Pilley and Ivor Armstrong Richards, Japan 1927

Winnie Tuke and Fred Tate - Family and Holidays in the 1920s